Text Tips is QuitNow's free 3-month mobile messaging program that offers tips, information, and support by text message to help you on your quit journey.
Text Tips offers:
- Tips to help you quit or reduce smoking or vaping
- Text messages that align with your quit date (or help you feel ready to set one!)
- Motivation and encouragement
- Links to additional resources
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Text Tips service work?
Text Tips is a free 3-month mobile texting support service designed for people who are trying to quit tobacco and vaping.
When you subscribe to Text Tips, you will begin receiving messages tailored to your quit date.
If you’ve set a quit date, you’ll receive supportive text messages before, during, and after your quit date. If you are thinking about quitting but aren’t ready to set a date, you will receive daily motivational messages for up to 3 weeks to help you feel ready.
Text STOP to stop receiving messages at any time.
You must have an account at quitnow.ca to subscribe to Text Tips.
How many text messages will I receive?
Before you set a quit date
- You will receive 1 text per day for 3 weeks.
- If you set your quit date during the 3 weeks, you will continue to receive text messages.
- After 3 weeks, if you have not set a quit date, Text Tips will end.
When you set a quit date
- Before your quit date
- 1 message per day for 30 days prior to your quit date
- Increases to 2 messages per day when your quit date is 8 days away.
- On your quit day
- 3 messages on the day
- After your quit date
- 3 messages per day for 1 week
- 2 messages per day for the next 3 weeks
- 4 weeks after your quit date
- 2 messages per week for 2 months
If you have a relapse
If you experience a relapse and make that change on your Quit Plan, here is what will happen:
- You will receive 1 message per day for 5 days.
- If you reset your quit date during this time, you will receive messages related to your quit date
- If you do not reset your quit date, you will receive texts related to thinking about quitting
Text messages are sent at 8am, 12pm, and/or 6pm.
What keywords can I use?
Keywords are an interactive feature of Text Tips. You can send a keyword to receive a message to help you through a challenging situation.
The keywords you can send are HUNGER, CRAVE, SLIP, STRESS, ALCOHOL.
Note that these are not case-sensitive, but spellings must be exact.